Experienced technologist with proven ability to work across all levels of an organization. Strong written and verbal communication skills. Excels at internal and external communications with customers, peers, C-suite, and industry analysts and press. Over twenty-five years in the Internet infrastructure space, including Content Delivery Networks, DNS, and Web hosting. Over a decade of generating thought leadership and earned media coverage based on Internet measurement & monitoring data.
Cloudflare, San Francisco, CA (January 2022 - )
Head of Data Insight
- Making Cloudflare the trusted source of knowledge about Internet trends and events including security threats, outages/disruptions, new technologies, geographic differences, and more using Cloudflare Radar and related data sets.
Fastly, San Francisco, CA (October 2020 - December 2021)
Sr. Director, Data Insights
- Led efforts to establish Fastly as a data-driven thought leader through the use of real-time and historical data to tell compelling stories. Published traffic-driven blog posts around major national and world events, as well as posts on Internet disruptions.
- Supported development of nascent competitive intelligence program.
Internet Society, Reston, VA (August 2019 – October 2020)
Sr. Director, Internet Research & Analysis
Oracle Dyn, Manchester, NH (July 2017 – March 2019)
Sr. Director, Internet Research & Analysis
Sr. Director, Industry & Data Intelligence (December 2013 – July 2017)
Product Line Director, Custom Analytics (September 2012 – December 2013)
- Developed content leveraging Oracle Internet Intelligence measurement and monitoring to improve Oracle's Internet thought leadership position and gain earned media coverage on relevant topics and events. Content included monthly blog post series (“Last Month In Internet Intelligence”) exploring Internet disruptions visible in the Oracle Internet Intelligence Map; a webinar/e-book/blog post on the challenges of accurate IP geolocation; and additional blog posts covering CDN usage, IPv6 adoption, and Internet availability.
- Produced customer-facing overview content for Oracle Internet Intelligence data assets and tools, as well as presentations and feature sheets supporting Oracle Internet Intelligence "This Is Your Internet" program and applicability of data and tools for public sector and election security use cases.
- Responsible for Oracle Internet Intelligence team's relationships with the Internet Society, NANOG, Cloud Security Alliance, and i2Coalition.
Director, Market Intelligence (January 2008 – August 2012)
- Responsible for the productization/commercialization of data feeds derived from the aggregation and analysis of data sets sourced in the ~2 trillion content requests per day seen by the Akamai Intelligent Platform, as well as the millions of network measurements made each day in support of the platform.
- Primary authorship/editing of Akamai's quarterly State of the Internet report series.
- Leadership of "evangelism through data" efforts, including Akamai IO, Akamai in 60 Seconds, IPv6 adoption, and broadband connection speed visualizations.
Senior Competitive Analyst (June 2006 – January 2008)
- Managed and executed all competitive intelligence gathering, analysis, tool development, and strategic recommendations for global sales and senior management.
- Primary authorship of Akamai’s quarterly State of the Internet report series, which was developed and executed as a corporate evangelism program that improved Akamai’s position as a thought leader.
- Acted as an internal evangelist for IPv6, providing market feedback to product teams, and driving the development of externally-facing tools, including a white paper and data visualization.
- Responsible for Analyst Relations, with a focus on educating the analyst community on Akamai's horizontal technology solutions.
Product Manager (June 2003 – May 2006)
- Gathered competitive intelligence and developed competitive positioning and related tools to enable sales teams to be more effective in competitive situations.
- Provided strategic analysis and input on competitive announcements for senior management and product teams.
- Presented regular summaries of competitive opportunity wins/losses to senior management.
Channel Development Manager (April 2002 - June 2003)
- Managed Akamai Web Application Performance Services including defining and launching Optimized Extranets (January 2004) and Web Application Accelerator (May 2005) services. Developed product and marketing strategies, messaging, go-to-market plans, and sales forecasts. Supported market positioning, analyst briefings, press interviews, Webinars, and advertising creation.
- Provided general product management and sales support for the FirstPoint Global Traffic Management, EdgeSuite Content Delivery, and EdgeSuite Secure Content Delivery services.
Channel Technical Consulting Manager (May 2000 - April 2002)
- Identified prospective Akamai channel partners, evaluating partner capabilities to ensure technical fit with Akamai’s services.
- Assisted in development of Value-Added Reseller program for Edge Side Includes integration partners.
Technical Consultant (May 1999 - May 2000)
- Managed a team of four Technical Consultants providing pre-sales technical support and training for Akamai channel partners.
- Developed sales tools, presentations, and technical documentation for Akamai channel partners.
Technology Planning Manager, Network Commerce Platform (October 1998 - May 1999)
- Provided pre- and post-sales technical/integration support on Akamai’s initial content delivery services.
- Trained account executives and sales engineers at channel partners on Akamai’s services.
Technology Evaluation Manager, Re@ch Enterprise (November 1997- October 1998)
Internet Sales Engineer, Web Hosting Product Specialist (April 1995 - November 1997)
- Master of Technical and Professional Writing, June 1997 (GPA: 3.9/4.0)
- Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts, May 1994 (GPA: 3.67/4.00)
Majors: Computer Science (B.S.), Science, Technology, and Society (B.A.)
Experience with UNIX, Linux, Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X
Experience with shell scripting, HTML, Perl, C++, C, Pascal, 80x86 Assembly, Fortran, BASIC
Long form reports, blog posts, white papers, and articles
See https://www.dbelson.com/publications.html for details